Scalloped Potatoes are a simple yet timeless dish, ideal for occasions like Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, or even a regular Sunday meal.
- 4 cups of potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup additional cheese, grated
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the flour. Allow it to sit for a minute.
- Gradually add in the cold milk, constantly whisking to prevent lumps. Season with salt and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Cook the sauce over low heat until it becomes smooth and starts to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat and incorporate the cheddar cheese until melted.
- In a one-quart casserole dish that has been lightly greased, layer half of the sliced potatoes. Pour over half of the cheese sauce.
- Add another layer of sliced potatoes and the remaining cheese sauce on top.
- Sprinkle the additional grated cheese over the top layer and add a dash of paprika for color.
- Bake the dish, uncovered, for approximately 1 hour at 350°F.