- 1 lb ground beef
- 2/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 jar of canned diced tomatoes (homemade)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Start a pot of water boiling for the elbow macaroni.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine ground beef and chopped onions. Season with ground black pepper.
- Cook until the beef is thoroughly browned and the onions have softened, becoming translucent. If you like, you can add minced garlic in the final minute of cooking.
- Drain off any excess fat from the skillet.
- As the water reaches a boil, cook the elbow macaroni until it’s nearly al dente. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
- To the skillet with the beef and onions, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, dried basil, and dried parsley. Mix well.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it melts into the mixture.
- Add the nearly al dente macaroni to the skillet, stirring to combine all ingredients.
Step 3: Assemble and Bake
- Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish and pour in the beef and pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, accompanied by buttered bread and optionally, a fresh salad.