Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 65-75 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 35 minutes
Yield: 1 Coffee Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 box of cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, mix together the flour and granulated sugar.
- Cut in Butter: Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture becomes crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of this crumbly mixture for garnish.
- Add Leavening Agents: To the reserved 1/2 cup of crumbly mixture, add the baking powder and baking soda. Mix them in.
- Prepare Wet Ingredients: In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and almond extract.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir gently just until the ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix; it’s okay if there are some lumps.
- Assemble the Cake: Spread two-thirds of the dough mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of the greased springform pan. Use your fingers or a spoon to create an even layer.
- Add Cherry Filling: Spoon the cherry pie filling over the dough in the pan, spreading it evenly to form a layer of cherries.
- Add Remaining Dough: Spoon the remaining one-third of the dough mixture over the cherry filling. Do not spread it; it’s okay if it’s in clumps.
- Sprinkle with Almonds: Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the top of the cake.
- Bake: Place the cake in the preheated oven and bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If the top of the cake begins to brown too quickly, you can cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
- Cool: Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then, release the sides of the springform pan and allow the cake to cool further on a wire rack.
- Serve: Slice and serve your delicious Cherry Cheese Coffee Cake. Enjoy!
This coffee cake is a delightful treat with a cherry filling and a crumbly almond topping. It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. Enjoy!