- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 1 (8 ounce) jar dried beef, rinsed and thinly sliced
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Start by preparing the dried beef. If it’s very salty, you might want to rinse it under cold water and pat it dry. Then, slice it into thin strips or small pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. You want it melted but not browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and whisk continuously to form a smooth roux. This should take a minute or two; the mixture will turn slightly golden and emit a nutty aroma.
- Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming. It’s important to add the milk slowly to ensure a smooth sauce.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and continue to cook and stir the mixture. As the sauce heats, it will begin to thicken. Keep stirring to ensure an even consistency.
- Once the sauce has thickened and comes to a gentle boil, reduce the heat. Add the sliced dried beef and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little heat. Stir to distribute the beef evenly throughout the sauce.
- Continue to cook on low heat just until the beef is heated through. This should take only a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast your bread until it’s golden and crisp.
- Once the creamed beef is hot and ready, spoon it generously over the toasted bread.
Serve immediately and enjoy the warm, comforting flavors of this traditional dish, perfect for a hearty breakfast or a satisfying meal any time of the day.
- For a less traditional but lighter version, you can use whole wheat flour and low-fat milk.
- If the sauce gets too thick, you can thin it out with a little more milk, added gradually while stirring.
- Some people enjoy adding a small amount of Worcestershire sauce or a sprinkle of paprika for additional flavor layers.
Serving and Enjoying
Understand the best ways to serve and enjoy Creamed Chipped Beef, often served over toast or biscuits, offering a delightful and hearty meal, perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Why Creamed Chipped Beef is a Comforting Classic
Explore the reasons why this dish is a timeless comfort food, known for its simplicity, rich flavor, and its ability to evoke nostalgic culinary memories.
Conclusion: Savor the Creamy Comfort
In conclusion, Creamed Chipped Beef isn’t just a dish; it’s a creamy comfort that offers warmth and satisfaction. Enjoy the rich, creamy flavors in every spoonful.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use something other than dried beef?
If dried beef is unavailable, sliced deli beef or even ground beef can be used as substitutes for a different texture and taste.
2. Can I adjust the consistency of the cream sauce?
Absolutely! Modify the sauce thickness by adjusting the amount of flour or milk used in the recipe to achieve the desired consistency.
3. What sides can I serve with Creamed Chipped Beef?
Common accompaniments include toast, biscuits, or even mashed potatoes to complement the rich, creamy flavors of the dish.
4. Can I store leftover Creamed Chipped Beef?
Yes, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave.
5. Is it possible to add additional seasonings to enhance the flavor?
Certainly! Experiment with herbs or spices like black pepper, paprika, or a dash of Worcestershire sauce for an extra flavor boost.
Enjoy your creamed chipped beef with a side of hash browns or eggs for a complete and robust meal!