Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of shortening
- 2 egg yolks, separated
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cups of corn flakes cereal
- 10 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons of water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and salt. Add the shortening and cut it into the flour using a pastry knife until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate 2/3 cup measuring cup, place the egg yolks. Fill the remainder of the cup with milk. Add the egg yolk and milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well to form the dough.
- Split the dough into two equal parts and roll out each piece into a rectangle large enough to cover a 10×15 inch rimmed cookie sheet.
- Place one rectangle of dough onto the cookie sheet to form the bottom crust. Sprinkle the corn flakes evenly over the crust.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peeled and sliced apples, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, and cinnamon. Toss the apples to coat them well, then layer them on top of the corn flake layer.
- Place the other rectangle of dough over the apples and pinch the edges of the crust together to seal the bars.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and spread them over the top crust.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients (powdered sugar and water).
- Remove the baked bars from the oven and drizzle the glaze over the hot crust.
- Allow the bars to cool to room temperature before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Apple Crunch Bars!