Indulge in a rich and delectable breakfast with this French Toast Bake. It’s a treat that’s easy to prepare and perfect for special occasions or lazy weekend mornings.
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 loaf of thickly sliced bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling
- Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Prepare the Sugar Mixture: In a microwave, melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar until well combined.
- Layer the Base: Pour and spread the butter-sugar mixture at the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the Egg Mixture: In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- First Layer of Bread: Lay down a single layer of bread slices over the sugar mixture in the pan.
- Add Half the Egg Mixture: Spoon half of the prepared egg mixture over this layer of bread.
- Sprinkle Cinnamon: Lightly sprinkle cinnamon over the moistened bread slices.
- Second Layer of Bread: Add a second layer of bread slices on top.
- Add Remaining Egg Mixture: Spoon the remaining egg mixture over this second layer of bread.
- Refrigerate: Cover the baking pan and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight. This allows the bread to absorb the egg mixture and the flavors to meld.
- Baking: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake the French toast for 45 minutes, keeping it covered for the first 30 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Final Touches: Once baked, sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and a dash of cinnamon for added flavor.
- Serve: Slice and serve the French Toast Bake with warm maple syrup on the side. Enjoy your delightful breakfast!
Why French Toast Bake is a Breakfast Classic
What makes this bake a breakfast favorite? Explore the reasons behind its popularity, from its comforting taste to the ease of preparation that resonates with breakfast enthusiasts.
Conclusion: Relishing the Comfort
In conclusion, French Toast Bake isn’t just a breakfast dish; it’s a comforting delight that warms the soul. Embrace the joy of preparing and relishing this simple, yet satisfying, breakfast classic.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I prepare the bake the night before?
Absolutely! Prepare the bake the night before, cover it, and refrigerate. Then, bake it in the morning for a quick, hassle-free breakfast.
2. What bread works best for this dish?
Slightly thicker bread slices like brioche, challah, or French bread work exceptionally well as they absorb the egg mixture without becoming overly soggy.
3. Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers in an airtight container. Reheat slices in the oven or microwave for subsequent servings.
4. How sweet can I make it?
Adjust the sweetness to your preference. You can increase the sweetness by adding more sugar or a touch of maple syrup or decrease it by cutting down on the sugar content.
5. Can I make it dairy-free?
Absolutely! Substitute dairy milk with your preferred non-dairy alternative, like almond milk or coconut milk, for a dairy-free version of this bake.