Homemade Sloppy Joes are just as easy to make as Manwich! Try this delicious recipe and taste the difference. Made with ground beef, bell pepper, onion, garlic, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and spices, this recipe is sure to please the whole family.
– 1 Tbsp butter
– 1 tsp olive oil
– 1 lb. ground beef
– 1/3 bell pepper with greens, chopped
– Half large, yellow onion minced
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 Tbsp tomato paste
– 2/3 cup of ketchup
– 1/3 cup of water
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
– 3/4 tsp chili powder
– 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
– 1/2 tsp kosher salt
– 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
– Sprinkle of spicy sauce (optional)
1. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add ground beef and brown it, breaking it into pieces, for about 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Add bell pepper and onion to the same pan and cook for 2 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Add beef back to the skillet. Add tomato paste and stir well.
5. Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Mix well.
6. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until the mixture has thickened to the desired consistency.
7. Remove from heat and serve on toasty buns.