For the Lasagna Layers
- 8 sheets of lasagna noodles (fresh or no-boil)
- 800g canned tomato pulp (or 500g fresh tomatoes)
- 300g ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs (oregano, thyme, basil)
- 100g grated Emmental cheese
- 2 sugar cubes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For the Béchamel Sauce
- 70g butter
- 70g flour
- 500ml milk
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Tomato Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, sautéing until the onion becomes translucent. Initially cook on high heat for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to low heat to avoid burning.
- Cook the Tomato Sauce:
- Add the 800g of tomato pulp to the pan, seasoning it with salt, pepper, and a tablespoon of your chosen aromatic herbs (oregano, basil, thyme). Let the mixture simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. If using canned tomatoes, add 2 sugar cubes to balance the acidity.
- Cook the Ground Beef:
- In a separate pan, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 3-5 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef, draining any excess fat, then combine it with the prepared tomato sauce.
- Make the Béchamel Sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt 70g of butter. Remove from heat and whisk in 70g of flour until fully incorporated. Slowly add 500ml of milk while continuing to whisk to prevent lump formation. Return to low heat and stir until the sauce thickens. Season with a pinch of nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble the Lasagna:
- Preheat your oven to 165°C (329°F). Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Start layering with a spoonful of béchamel sauce, followed by lasagna noodles, then a layer of the meat-tomato sauce, and a sprinkle of grated Emmental cheese. Repeat these layers until all ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of béchamel sauce. Optionally, you can also add slices of Paris mushrooms between the layers.
- Bake the Lasagna:
- Place the assembled lasagna in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until it’s nicely browned. If the top starts to brown too quickly, cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once baked to perfection, let it cool for a few minutes before serving.