– 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
– 1 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
– 10 maraschino cherries, stemmed and pitted
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup whole milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Melt the butter in a 9-inch cake pan in the oven.
Once the butter is melted, sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the pan.
Arrange the pineapple slices on top of the brown sugar, placing a cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, beat the granulated sugar and eggs until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Mix in the reserved pineapple juice, milk, and vanilla extract.
Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Pour the batter over the pineapple slices in the cake pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a serving plate.
– Make sure to drain the pineapple slices well to avoid excess moisture in the cake.
– Melting the butter in the pan before adding the brown sugar and pineapple creates a caramelized layer on top of the cake.
– For extra sweetness, sprinkle some additional brown sugar over the top of the cake before serving.
– Use sliced peaches or pears instead of pineapple for a different twist.
– Add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients for a warm and cozy flavor.
– Substitute the vanilla extract for almond extract for a nutty twist.
Serve the pineapple upside-down cake warm or at room temperature, topped with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy your homemade Pineapple Upside-Down Cake with Brown Sugar!