For the Beef:
- 1 pound flank steak, sliced into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Broccoli:
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Prepare the Beef:
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced beef with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until the beef is well-coated. This helps to thicken the sauce later and gives the beef a nice glaze.
- Brown the Beef:
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the beef in a single layer, and cook until it browns, about 2-3 minutes per side. Stir frequently for even cooking. Once browned, transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the Broccoli:
- In the same pan, add the broccoli florets and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the beef stock, which will help steam and cook the broccoli. Simmer until the broccoli is tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Make the Sauce:
- While the broccoli is cooking, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in a small bowl. Whisk it together until smooth. This mixture will create the savory and slightly sweet sauce for the dish.
- Combine and Simmer:
- Return the cooked beef to the pan with the broccoli.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the beef and broccoli. Stir well to combine.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to your liking. The cornstarch will help the sauce thicken and adhere to the beef and broccoli.
- Once the sauce is thickened, remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the beef and broccoli over a bed of cooked white rice, or if you prefer, with noodles or another grain of your choice.